Last updated: 5 months ago
A male adult told deputies that a suspect — now identified as 29-year-old Johnny Martinez — has stabbed him.
Officials said two men were fighting and that the suspect was assaulting another at the time of the shooting.
His family told KCAL9’s Jeff Nguyen that Martinez was unarmed. The man’s parents reportedly witnessed the shooting.
Deputies said they used a stun gun and pepper spray on Martinez. They said when they also tried to cuff him, he pulled out a knife.
That is when they said the deputy-involved shooting occurred.
Authorities said they recovered a knife at the scene.
The parents of a man shot to death by Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies last year are suing the county and Sheriff Jim McDonnell for wrongful death, alleging the slain man dropped a knife he was holding before they opened fire and that they ignored his father when he said his son was mentally ill and could be calmed down.
Roberto and Antonia Martinez, the father and mother of 28-year-old Johnny Martinez, filed the lawsuit Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court. The decedent’s minor daughter, Hailey Elise Martinez, also is a plaintiff. The suit additionally alleges civil rights violations and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
April 2015 Lawsuit filed