Last updated: 7 months ago
Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old man from Fort Worth, Texas, was identified as the shooting suspect in the rampage that killed 13 people at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday.
The Associated Press, citing law enforcement sources, confirmed Alexis was the alleged gunman. It is unclear what his motive was.
NBC News reported that officials identified him via fingerprints.
The Wall Street Journal reported that Alexis kicked out of the military in 2011 as a result of a 2010 gun arrest in Fort Worth. A 2010 police report said he was arrested when his gun discharged and shot through the ceiling of his home. The Seattle Police Department also said he was arrested in 2004 in Seattle for an “anger-fueled” shooting, taking out the tires of a man’s vehicle.
In Monday’s incident, the suspect allegedly entered the base with another man’s ID card who used to work there, officials said. The name of the man whose ID card was found is now being questioned by the FBI, which took the lead in the investigation earlier on Monday.
There is no information on a connection between Alexis and man whose name was on the ID card he used.
He allegedly shot the security guard with a shotgun and proceeded on through the building. He was also seen with an AR-15 rifle and a semiautomatic 9mm pistol, witnesses told the broadcaster.